Friday, March 19, 2010

Buggin' Bigtime....

Phew...today was a BREAKTHROUGH day. Today was the first day since the stomach flu hit our home that I worked out and left the gym feeling GOOD! After the illness ran through the house I'd go to the gym and then feel like there was about a 20% chance I'd die on the drive home, and another 20% chance I'd die in bed after I got home.

Well today was THE day....I went to the gym, worked out, and left that place feeling sweaty and GOOD! The moral of this story...getting sick sucks, and dehydration can do some crazy things to the body.

My trainer told me to get "Smart Water". It's actually called that and basically it's water with electrolytes. So, think Gatorade without the sugar and calories. Well, I bought 4 bottles of the stuff at the grocery store after the group workout on Wednesday and I've got to tell ya, I think it helped. I drank one bottle on the way home that night. Then I sat on the couch and watched Tuesday's Biggest Loser on the DVR and drank another bottle. Then Thursday am I drank the 3rd. I'm feeling just about back to normal now...

...and that is a good thing!

So, here's what's been going on. I've eased up on the whole "MUST INTAKE 2050 AND MUST BURN 2900" mentality. Some days I may not get to 2900, and that's ok. I also don't need to eat when I'm not hungry just to get to the 2050. The bugg is a TOOL to help me succeed in a long-term weight loss and healthy lifestyle journey. It is not the final word on every day.

Last night was our monthly girls get together "Bunco Night". I had about 1000 calories left in my daily allowance, so for that evening I didn't measure and weigh everything I ate. I made good choices and when I decided that the dessert just looked TOO good to pass up, I took a small piece of the corner, which was ONE bite. That one bite tasted really good and believe me, I would've LOVED to have eaten a whole piece. (Actually I would've LOVED to have eaten the rest of the tray!) But, that one bite really did satisfy my curiosity....it wasn't a craving per se, but more of a curiosity. I wanted to know if it tasted as delicious as it looked. It did, but a taste is what I got, and that was better than nothing at all!

So for logging in last night's food I created a new food item....and called it Girls Night Out. I made it 900 calories and then just figured out how much protein, fat, and carbs that needed to be in order to hit 900.

I also bought new workout pants. I like capri pants for exercising at the gym, so I picked up a pair at Wal Mart that were XL. I would normally wear a XXL or even a XXXL. I figured I'd hold them for future use. For God's sake...I've lost 20 lbs....not 50! But, curiosity got the best of me, so I tried 'em on.

Guess what I worked out in today....oh yeah....the new pants. And then tonight when I had to make another Wal Mart run (gotta start making a WM list...hate going there and then twice in one week....egads) I picked up 2 more pairs that were left in the XL section.

Smaller clothes are such a nice thing to buy!

Today I started some weight work on my arms and legs. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, followed by 2 time on the cross trainer at 10 minutes per time. In between those sessions I did arm and leg weight work. I work until I'm feeling the exhaustion and then do 10 or so more.

One thing that I noticed today...I was working out solo...no friends, no trainer. Just me. Just me and my iPod. I recently downloaded some Podcasts related to my current state of mind. (Exercise, not General Insanity)

Well, I was listening to the Biggest Loser Fan Podcast, and you know what? I need to stop talking to everyone at the gym and start listening, 'cause I was working a lot harder when I wasn't running my jaws! I looked down one time on the Cross Trainer and I was "running" at 3.8 mph. I usually walk on the treadmill at 3.5 as the fastest....maybe 3.8 when I'm really kicking it up. But here I was, just listening along and going faster than I normally do.

More listening, less jaw jacking....gonna have to work on that!

Oh, and so since this blog is dedicated to my journey with the Body Bugg, here's what I want to say about this little device that I've grown oh-so-fond of....

When I was sick I took it off for a few days. When I put it back on I accepted the fact that I wouldn't be hitting an hour of "activity", 10,000 steps, or 2900 calories...and that was OK.

Well, now I'm back to hearing those beeps of the digital display telling me that I've got a message...Step Goal Reached.....Activity Level Goal Reached.....Calorie Target Reached.

Wow, I didn't realize how much I love hearing that little reminder and then looking down to see which of the targets I've hit. I like those beeps!

I've seen a lot of fellow buggers posting that they're doing the Wii Fit Walk It Out or Just Dance. I checked our local Blockbuster, but they did not have either available for rent, so I took the plunge and bought Just Dance tonight. I'm hoping that it's a fun way to get some exercise in at home when I can't get outside to walk or get to the gym. I also think it will be fun for my kids...they can dance along and see Mom act like a goofball.

Anyhoo...hopefully it's another fun way to get some calorie BURN in...I'll let ya know what I think once I break it out and bust a move!

Lori

1 comment:

Terry Holdren said...

Love the Smart Water. I make sure my husband takes it with him when he goes hunting in the fall. It really helps him from cramping up.

Keep up the good work.

Terry