Monday, March 22, 2010

Breakfast Recipe...

OK, here's the deal. I get tired of eating the same thing day after day after day....you get the point. Also, I'm not a big fan of cereal, but it's a quick, easy, and low cal breakfast, so I've been doing Special K for quite a while now. It's time to change things up a bit.

The BL book has a recipe for Steel Cut oats. I've recently been buying these and like them a lot. So, I thought today I'd give it a go. The first thing they say to do is to cook a bunch of the oats ahead of time to shave off some time. Today I cooked a big batch of the oats and now have some in the fridge for the rest of the week.

One change is that the recipe suggested using Almond Milk instead of water. I tried it. I have never consumed Almond Milk in any way, shape, or form, so this was a new experience for me.

Once you have the cooked oats you add frozen berries, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup almond milk, and a packet of sweetener. Stir and microwave for a minute or two. It was REALLY good! Now, I used the recipe builder to see how close my version was to the recipe. I had measured everything out and made a few substitutions to use what I have on hand.

My concoction came in a little higher than the recipe in the book, but still reasonable. Mine had:

345 calories
10.5 g protein
59.5 g carbs
6.8 g fat
11 g fiber
220 mg. calcium
190 mg. sodium
0 cholesterol

I think tomorrow I will use less of the precooked oats to get the calories down a bit. And honestly, I am TOTALLY stuffed. That was a lot of oatmeal.

So, here's the general gist of the recipe:

Take 1/2 cup precooked steel cut oats (I used about 3/4 the first time and it was too much). Add in 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 packet splenda, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Stir...microwave for 1 - 2 minutes until heated through.

It was tasty and a good change from the Special K every day!

Lori

No comments: