Monday, March 21, 2011

Remembering….

 

I ran in a fundraising 5K here over the weekend.  It was the first time in probably a month that I had gotten an outdoor run in early in the day.  After the race I had a busy day, so I mentally planned the day out while I was on my way to get the kiddos from my DH. 

The kids and I came home so that I could get cleaned up and then out we went…Subway for lunch and then groceries.  Back home to prep dinner for that evening, when we had friends and 3 kiddos join us for a fun night.  All day I was bopping around getting the house picked up and the food ready.

About 5 pm I sat down to just chill for about 30 minutes before the hubby got home and the evening started up again.  In those 30 minutes I thought about how great I had felt ALL day.  I had lots of energy…I got a lot accomplished.

Then I remembered the last time I had really felt great all day…it was about a month earlier when I was in California.  I had taken a 4 mile run outside on a beautiful day.  The rest of the day I was energized and happy. 

Perhaps there is something to this!  I decided that I would begin an experiment of sorts.  One of the things I want to do is get myself to the point that I can RUN a 5K.  By that I mean RUN the entire time…no walking recovery breaks.  So, I got the Couch to 5K (C25K) information out and set a plan.  I will get up on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do a C25K workout.  We will see if those early morning workouts help to keep me energized throughout the day.

It’s funny how easy we forget really.  I have forgotten how good, healthy food and exercise really make me feel so much better.  I feel strong, fit and empowered.  When I eat junk and don’t exercise enough I feel horrible and my mood takes a nose-dive. 

Today I did day 1 of week 2 for C25K.  I am skipping week 1 as I felt like I was capable of skipping that one.  I am running faster during the running times than I normally would run.  I am hopeful that I can train my mind and body to be able to run faster for a longer amount of time.

When you’re feeling down look back to the times you felt better and evaluate how you can make changes TODAY to get those great feelings back.

Lori

No comments: