Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A recipe

Once again I am back at it.  I am wearing the bugg.  Now, I will admit, I am not logging my food as faithfully as I should, but I am very conscious of the burn number and have been being reasonably careful about what I eat. 
…and I’m losing weight, so I’m not messing with it for now…
But, tonight, DH was not going to be home for dinner and in some crazy moment of weakness, I apparently promised “Breakfast For Dinner” to the kids. 
…..oops…..
I CAN make a healthy breakfast, but the kids were really thinking BACON…and lots of it!  So I figured bacon was the big splurge, so bacon went into the frying pan.  The kids ate a lot of bacon.
But, the surprising thing was that I made waffles from scratch, and the kids LOVED them!  Doesn’t seem strange perhaps, but let me tell ya….I used whole wheat flour, and my kids are not big fans of whole wheat pasta or any WW substitution, so I was really happy.  Happy enough that I made a second batch and froze those for a quick breakfast before school this week or next.
So without further ado….the whole wheat waffle recipe that was a winner with my two kiddos, ages 5 and 10:

2 eggs

2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour

1 3/4 cups milk

1 applesauce snack cup (it’s almost 1/2 cup)

1 Tablespoon sugar

4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs.  Add remaining ingredients and mix together.  Pour into heated waffle iron and cook until done!
Yeah, it’s that easy!  The original recipe called for regular all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup vegetable oil instead of applesauce.  I tried the applesauce and thought it was fine.  I eyeballed the salt and vanilla.
I hope you (and your kids) enjoy these if you give ‘em a try!
Lori

No comments: